|

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Ibn Rushd's Monopsychism

So I'm looking for the truth conditions of the oridnary language indicative conditional 'If A, then C' according to the possible worlds account and I just happen to run across our old friend Ibn Rushd (commonly known in the West as Averroes). So I am looking at this philosophy and run across this idea that the soul is divided into two parts: one individual, and one divine; the individual soul is not eternal; and most importantly for me, that all humans at the basic level share one and the same divine soul, which I come to find out is an idea known as monopsychism. So I go to that page and learn that:


Monopsychism is the belief that all humans share one and the same eternal soul, mind or intellect and that it is a doctrine of Buddhism, Sibghatullah, and Averroism, and is also a part of Rastafarian beliefs.


I guess you could probably include the Christian gnostics in that category as well, at least on Freke and Gandy's interpretation of gnosticism. I am also of a monopsychistic persuasion. Either that, or the idea of the World-Soul or Super-Soul, what I call the God-Soul, but if either one of these specific ideas is true and the other is false, does it matter, isn't the point the oneness and connection of the soul, whether we all share the same one or whether all our souls are connected and combine to form the God-Soul? I'll leave that one for you to decide, I've got to get back to work!