|

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Marianne Williamson Night

‘your leaving now, it’s in your eyes, their’s no disguisin it, it really comes as no surprise, that you planned it all along.’ I love this song, I finally downloaded it after wanting to for so long and I finally got it, so I’m happy about that. But back to the subject matter, is why I think that pure science is impossible. Besides the fact that corporations hire and fire scientists and deny researchers and professors tenure at their jobs if their research will cost the corporation money by decreasing sales, I believe that people’s political agenda’s impede their ability to search for the truth. Robert Anton Wilson said that what the thinker thinks, the prover proves. Because the researcher is looking for a specific answer for whatever reason, they will find that answer. Because the researcher is looking for a specific answer to refute the former researcher, they will find that refutation. Where is the truth in this? But not only do politics and personal biases for whatever side of an argument come into play impede the search for truth and pure science, but some philosophers believe that this ‘objective, unbiased, filterless’ viewpoint is impossible. This is what some people believe nietzsche was talking about with the death of God, that the death of god really means the death of the objective viewpoint from which to view the world. Or maybe just the realization that we never had this viewpoint in the first place. It has come to be called perspectivism in philosophical circles and my former professor at Millikin University is writing a book about it. So that is all that I will discuss on this topic for now. Chew on this, leave me some feedback about what you think, I will think on this some more, I always do.

Next, I saw Marianne Williamson speak tonight. She is the author of a course on miracles and some other books. I was skeptical going into it, like I am now skeptical of a lot of new age thought that I was ready and willing to accept only a few years ago. I am skeptical for a couple of reasons. One of them has to do with Plato’s rejection of sophism and the sophists, who went around athens charging people for the wisdom that they had. Plato thought that this was wrong and that true wisdom does not come at a price and I agree with him. The second reason why I am skeptical about the ‘new age’ is that Socrates, Jesus, Buddha, Lao Tzu, you name it, they never charged people money to hear their wisdom. But now with the media blitz we have, every so-called new age spiritual author is looking to make a buck and they have their audiobooks and books and recorded lectures etc. etc. is this what a spiritual person would do? Is this what a true prophet would do? Isaiah and Jeremiah didn’t charge people for their divine wisdom, but many in the new age movement do today. Maybe I am just holding them to a much higher standard than what they should be held too. Who knows? The last reason is because in the new testament he says that many will come in my name saying that I am He. I see this in the new age movement now with james tyman claiming to receive messages from yeshua and for a few bucks, he will put in a good word with you to him. Maybe this is inaccurately reflecting what is really happening, but this is no different than the indulgences of the catholic church that martin luther had such a problem with way back when. I guess that this is also what televangelists do as well, to a much worse degree I believe, but what irks me so much is that so much of this new age stuff seems true to me. I get it and believe it really is spiritual wisdom, so I feel as if I’m being decieved somehow in a way that I cannot put my finger on. I don’t know what to think of it. But I just know that I will never charge anybody for any wisdom that I have, if I can help it. Maybe economics and the world today forces some people to charge to make a living, but there has got to be a better way. Anyways, that’s all for tonight folks, hope you have enjoyed it, leave me some comments to let me know that I don’t live a meaningless, purposeless existence. Talk to you soon - me