|

Monday, June 23, 2008

Ontological Confusion: Infinitum non capax finiti

I've decided to write a paper on divine transcendence for my independent study class with Quentin, and while researching exactly what the phrase 'Infinitum non capax finiti' means, I ran across this gentleman's blog and I'm going to use two things that he says in my paper! Hurray for the Internet! I've quoted the passages below, they are arguing against this concept.

‘Surely it is one thing to say that the finite creation is incapable of capturing and containing the infinite God and another thing entirely to affirm the ability of the infinite God to communicate himself without resistance by means of created being. I think that distinction is key.'

'Because God created the entire world, including both immaterial and material dimensions, he is free to unite himself with and use any portion of it that he desires. God finds no ontological “resistance” to his presence and action in his own creation.’

.